Fast Company

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A Long Hard Year



Hello, hello to anyone out there,

Just wanted to reflect on the school year at Babson.


I like to first sum up how a time period went by how well I lived. Physically, socially, hyperbolically, and I'd say I lived very well. Especially when you compare my living to the rest of the world (ROW). Lived out in Wellesley, MASS, had good times in the kitchen at Woodside (pre-party and spoons), made some strong friends (Mona and Samuel), and I even managed to learn a little bit about business.


I had some very inspiring professors, like Goldstein, the man is hyper-energetic and excited about finance. Then there is Paul Mulligan, the operations guy. TOM was a blast with him improvising in relative content as easy as pie. Yes, there were some not so good teachers as well and some of the classes made me yawn and famously fall asleep (that was actually in Goldsteins class, but just because I was tired). I learned a ton as most of the material was new academic territory for me. Now a lot of the management classes I knew because of my grandfathers teachings, but strategy and marketing were really new. I think that makes me like subjects more, when I'm learning something new.



Throughout the year there were regular things I would do, like play basketball, go listen to bluegrass at the Can Tab, racquetball, not to mention Notes Playable (accapella) and Business Casual (improv group). Regular things that I would eat, chicken and mushrooms, salad with mozzarella, and my famous tomato and hot dog soup.
I also ate more chocolate this year then any other year of my life. Partly because I want to experience chocolate and partly because of the consulting project me and a group were doing for MARS. The group was TJ Patrick, Yolanda Ma, Adam Gold, Alyson Greenlee, Jun Yeo, and Supreet Sodhi and we had our ups and downs but generally got

along with eachother. That was a great experience, doing a chocolate industry analysis and then a consulting project for the Pure Dark brand (but that's top secret so you didn't hear that here).

There was also the unforgettable Spring Break to Puerto Rico aye aye aye pioh! pioh!, beaches hangovers and dancing. It was the true spring break I had always dreamed of.




I really struck it luck in October for my birthday when an Executive program was at Babson from HEC business school in France. I hit it off well with all of them but especially the marketing director for MARS Drinks in Europe. These guys make the Flavia beverages and this guy offered me an internship on the spot. And off I go to Paris for the summer. You can't beat that, just gotta figure out how to write my report for the 3 credits I'm getting for this.

So yes, it was a good school year, I lived well, took care of myself, and did a pretty good job of taking care of my people. I even ended the year in a really nice

relationship which I hope lasts for a long time (just wait til you meet Miwa).

1 comment:

  1. Puerto Rico and Paris and a gf, oh MY! Hey Miles, wanted to write you on a random note here... You remember that singer we almost went to see in Los Angeles, Lenka? She had that catchy song about enjoying the show and had adorable teeth and goes to sleep at the end of the music video? (Well I know you remember Cunningham Muffins, and it was that same few days) Aaaanyway, there is a Friskies Cat Food commercial that's been out for a while featuring a crazy psychedelic world being explored by a cat looking for some new cat food but apparently really messed up on LSD. The singer of the jingle, which ends "Friiiiskies --- feed the senseeeeeeesss.." sounds SOO much like that girl Lenka that I spent a while today trying to investigate and see if I couldn't figure out if it was her or not. No conclusive answers turned up, but just wanted to share that with ya and suggest you check out the youtube video of the commercial if you haven't seen it. Very trippy. Oh my god. Shoes. Boom.

    ReplyDelete